Not too long ago, Paul McFedries supplied us with an excellent 800 page reference manual “Windows Home Server Unleashed” for a then newly released Windows Home Server product. The book was an superb compilation of not only Windows Home Server topics but also included a primer and how-to on home networking.
The reason we bring this up is because with the introduction of Windows Home Server 2011 those that had Paul’s original book (and newcomers alike) would once again need helpful hints, tips and trick with their 2011 platform.
We are pleased to alleviate you that the author will not disappoint with his newly released “Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Unleashed” book, that breaks into 21 individual and engaging chapters, running into almost 700 pages and countless reference opportunities.
Not your average Twilight saga…
Be forewarned, the book just like the product that it talks about is not your average Twilight saga, it is a manual, a reference guide, a self- teaching tool, and a must have for any Windows home Server 2011 user, either a seasoned WHS geek or a freshman.
- Quickly set up networks,
- user accounts, devices, and storage
- Add any computer to your network: Windows 7, Vista, XP, Mac, or Linux
- Efficiently share folders, files, and digital media
- Set up passwords and users and protect your sensitive information
- Reliably automate backups, so you never lose an important file
- Centrally manage all your storage, so you never have to buy more than you need
- Stream and share your digital images, audio, and video–even on your Xbox 360 or other devices
- Use Home Server’s built-in web server to create powerful, flexible websites
- Use Windows SharePoint Foundation to help everyone coordinate their busy lives
- Automatically apply up-to-date security fixes to all your Windows computers
- Remotely access your content from any Internet-connected computer–safely and securely
- Use Home Server power tools, including Local Group Policy Editor, Computer Management snap-ins, and scripting
- Efficiently monitor, maintain, tune, and troubleshoot Windows Home Server
“Microsoft Windows Home Server Unleashed 3rd Edition” is filled with tips, how- to’s, screenshots, notes, and even cautions. It touched on everything from configuration of your windows home server, to networking, performance and maintenance, and goes all the way to very advanced tools. After reading the book over the last two weeks: I think this is a great “go-to” book for anyone that is or will be running Windows Home Server 2011 platform because the text is not only easy to read and understand, but touches on everything you would typically ask, wonder about, and battle with.
Bottom line, “Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Unleashed” is a highly recommended addition to your technical library.